Everyone may have already heard that exercise is good for health. That however, is an understatement. Exercise is great for Health, able to prevent and alleviate many medical conditions. Research has shown that Regular exercise can reduce the risk of many chronic diseases including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some cancers to mention a few.
What exactly is exercise? Exercise is any movement of the body that exerts the muscles and leads to a burning of calories. Exercise is easy to do, costs nothing and has immediate effects. It can also be done by persons of all ages to boost health and well-being. However, many people are unaware of just how beneficial exercise is to their health. Some benefits of exercise are discussed below:
- Improve Mood and Relieve depression : Research has shown that people who exercise daily are happier than those who don’t. Exercise has also been shown to improve mood in persons suffering with depression. This is because exercise can help the brain to be more sensitive to hormones like serotonin that regulate mood as well as release some chemicals, such as endorphins which help a person feel happier.
- Engaging in regular exercise can reduce risk of chronic diseases like Diabetes, heart disease, stroke and cancer. it helps to improves sensitivity to insulin, improves heart function and reduce blood pressure. people who do not exercise are at a higher risk of these chronic diseases.
- Exercise helps in weight loss : During exercise, there is an increase in metabolic rate and this leads to increase expenditure of energy and loss of calories which ultimately leads to weight loss.
- Improves muscles and bones. Exercise can help to build and maintain strong and healthy muscles. it can also help to increase bone density and prevent osteoporosis later in life.
- improve brain health and memory. Exercise leads to more oxygen and blood being supplied to the brain. This among other things can lead to improved brain functions like concentration, memory. Can also prevent degenerative brain diseases like dementia.
- Improve skin condition. Regular, moderate exercise can improve the production of natural anti-oxidants by the body. This reduces oxidative skin damage. Also increased blood flow caused by exercise can reduce skin aging, thus helping skin look better and younger.
- Exercise has also be shown to improve sleep quality, reduce pain and promote better sex life.
What counts As Exercise?
Any activity that increases movement, breathing and heart rate counts as exercise. This include fast walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, dancing, even doing house chores.
Adults should aim for 150 minutes of exercise weekly and stay active generally daily. School Children are required to have at least an hour of exercise daily.
In summary, Exercise is a cheap, effective way to stay healthy and happy and offers many health benefits. Everyone should strive to engage in physical activity daily.