Hello Beautiful People,
I have been a bit under the weather so been unable to post. However, I’m feeling better now. Even good enough to give a health talk to kids of Abbas heart Montesorri school today, on how to stay clean, fit and healthy everyday.
|Healthy-Pink: Teaching children about Health.|
|Healthy-Pink: Catch them young for health.|
|Healthy Pink: Teaching the beautiful kids of Abbas heart school.|
|Healthy Pink: Beautiful Kids of Abbas Heart School.|
|Healthy-Pink: Caring For your body Parts.|
|Healthy-Pink: Catch Them Young.|
It is very important to teach children early, healthy habits that will guide them throughout life. Today, I just talked about basic hygiene for kids.
- Make sure to teach kids to wash their hands properly with soap and water after going to toilet, before eating, after touching pets or playing in the sand.
- Also cut their finger nails at least once a week.
- Wash their hair regularly. For boys everyday, girls at least once in two weeks, weekly if possible to avoid lice and keep hair clean and dandruff free.
- Brush their teeth twice a day: when they wake up and last thing at night. Also brush their tongue to avoid bad breath.
- Take a bath at least twice a day. Morning and evening with an antiseptic soap and soft sponge.
- Wash their clothes after wearing. If they must repeat an already worn cloth, it must be aired first.
- Wash their feet everyday and wear light socks with shoes. Also air their shoes and feet to avoid smelly feet.
- Wash their underarms and private parts with soap and water everytime they bathe.
To stay healthy and fit, children should:
- Eat healthy, nutritious food with lots of protein like fish, meat, milk, eggs to make them grow.
- Avoid junk food like candy, chocolates, ice cream, fries, burger. These do not have any nutritional benefit but give them extra calories which can make them obese in the long run.
- Drink lots of water and milk and restrict sodas like coke, fanta, sprite.
- Play, play, play : especially outdoors to get sunshine. But not too much direct sunshine which may burn them.
- Encourage them to engage in sports. Discover a sport they like and engage in it daily or weekly like running, swimming, cycling, baseball, football. Dancing is also good as it encourages them to exercise and stay healthy.
- Limit screen time : They should not watch TV or play video games for more than 2 hours a day. They could learn other games that exercise their minds like scrabble, chess, monopoly.
- They can learn a new word everyday to exercise their minds.
- Learning a musical instrument is also good. As it exercises their minds, improves their cognition and is a valuable skill to acquire eapecially when young.
These are the few tips I shared with the kids today to stay clean, healthy and fit. I hope you”ll teach these to your children as it sets the foundation for a healthy life.
Til my next post, stay beautiful, clean, healthy-pink and pass it on to the next generation.
Dr. Anire Oduko.