Everyone may already know that part of being healthy overall, is reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. However, they may not know why a healthy weight is so important. It is very important because not only will it help you feel better about yourself and increase your energy so you can enjoy life more, it will also prevent and control many diseases.
Having excess weight, especially around your waist increases your risk for a number of lifestyle related and chronic diseases such as:
- High cholesterol
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Coronary Heart disease
- gall bladder disease
- Sleep Apnea and Respiratory problems
- Some Cancers – Endometrial, breast, and colon.
Many things contribute to a person’s weight. This includes Height, genes, metabolism, behaviour and environment. However, behaviour (eating habit and activity level) is a huge contributor. Obesity and being overweight is on the rise in many countries in the world including Nigeria and so is the incidence of lifestyle related and chronic diseases. It is very important that people make an active effort to reach and maintain a healthy weight. This will improve all facets of their health tremendously. A small weight loss of just 5-10% of body weight can make a big difference to health, helping people to live longer and enjoy a better quality of life.
So what can you do to reach and maintain a healthy body weight?
- know your body measurements, to know if you are at risk : This involves knowing you height and weight which can then be used to calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index), which can tell you if you have a healthy weight,are underweight, overweight or obese.
- If you are overweight, then try to make needed lifestyle changes and form healthy habits.
- One of the needed lifestyle change is healthy eating. For someone that wants to lose weight, a balanced calorie-controlled eating plan is needed.
- Exercise and increased activity level is also very neccesary.
- Gradual weight loss of about 1 -2 kg per week is better and healthier than losing so much weight at once.
- The aim should be to form new, healthy habits that can be maintained for the long term.
Healthy-Pink Initiative in association with Women’s Health Point is organising a weight-loss club to help people lose weight healthily. This club will involve having an online support group and a wellness coach personally follow you up virtually to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
For more info on joining the weight loss club, kindly call on 09091752484 or email at email@example.com